Thursday, September 1, 2011

Introducing the One and Only Shari Bird

Okay, so maybe not the one and only, but she is the only one I'm talking about today :)
I can't even remember when I officially met Shari, but I'm so glad I did. She's such a great support in the writing world. And now she's in my campaign group! Here's more about her from her awesome blog


I am a wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, writer, reader and appreciator of all things beautiful.


Totally relatable right? I mean, aren't each of us one of those things? So, you're not a wife...I bet you're a friend. And the main reason most of us are connected is because we are all writer's. Let's learn more about Shari's writing background!


Shari, how long have you been writing?


Since I could hold a pencil. Actually, I think I was telling stories before I could even write. I was a bit of a rambler. Plus I think I liked the attention. And I don’t think the stories actually made sense. Kind of like this response.


So, what made you want to write?


I have always liked writing. I wrote lots of sorry poetry and nonsensical stories as a child. I even did well on papers in school, but nobody told me that I could or should—write, that is. So I wrote stories for my children, and for the kids at church, until a friend of mine gave me permission to write seriously. She didn’t love my writing, mind you, but encouraged me anyway. That’s all I needed, and thus this crazy journey began.


(Thanks for sharing! I love seeing how other writer's were originally inspired. I definitely have those who don't love my writing but support me anyway. Sometimes we need the push and the learning comes after.)


If you could pick the setting of one book to live in, which would it be?


I have absolutely no idea. I live in the mountains. I like it there. What book is set in the mountains? That’s the one I’d pick. As long as it wasn’t a dystopian society. I don’t want to live in any of those. The thought just makes me shudder.


(Agreed. First mountain book that came to mind was the Eragon Series. There's a HUGE mountain in that. You'd make a great member of the Varden.)


Do you have any pet peeves while writing?


Yes, interruptions known as the telephone, doorbell and children.


If you could reread any book, which would you choose?


I can only pick one? ‘Cause there are a lot I’d like to reread. Hmm, let’s see. I’d better go check my shelves. I’ll be right back.


(Awesome, I'll just wait right here.)


Okay, I’m back now. I think it would have to be SPEAK by Laurie Halse Anderson. I haven’t read that in a long time and it was excellent!


(And I need to read it for the first time! Why does my TBR pile have to be so huge?)


Who's your favorite character?


I’m assuming you don’t mean one of mine because no one else would know who I was talking about. So, I guess it would have to be Junie B. Jones. Yes, she’s a chapter book character. But she’s hilarious. And I like her.


(Me too. And I'm so excited for my oldest daughter to read them. She's in first grade this year!)


Do you prefer:


Vampires or Werewolves? They both scare me. Can I choose fairies instead?


Dashes or Parentheses? I loves me some em dashes.


Mountains or Beaches? Definitely mountains. (Which is a good thing, because that’s where I live.)


Mornings or Nights? Mornings. I am without a doubt a morning person. Yeah, lots of people hate me, at least in the morning. Except my daughter. She’s a morning person too. But that’s probably more information than you wanted to hear, huh?


And last, but not least, fruity candy or chocolate? Are you kidding? Chocolate, hands down.


(Well, no candy debate there. I won't even try to sway you to the other side. You are so set :))


Thanks so much Shari! I hope everyone had as much fun learning about her as I did. Don't forget to stop by her blog, Think Dream Inspire. It's fabulous, just like Shari!


Have a great weekend!

12 comments:

  1. Shari's awesome~ great interview! I love that she put Junie B. Jones as a fav character :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for having me Michelle! I freaked out when I saw my picture as I pulled up your blog, even though I knew it would be there. I need to get out more.

    And thanks to Jess too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe, what a good interview. I'm a huge Junie B. fan. My daughter used to read those books when she was little and we still have a few kicking about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice interview! My six year old picked Junie B. Jones as her favorite character, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww. great to learn more about Shari. She is so nice. I prefer mountains AND beach, which is why Hawaii and Alaska are my fave places.
    I still haven't read Speak yet either, I just can't keep up.
    Shari, I'm forever your em dash sister. I just love them and am madly addicted to them. I need to start an em dash support group. they're just so much fun ....
    Great questions, Michelle!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a fun interview to read! My daughter is four and we LOVE Junie B. Jones. In fact, when I was querying, my daughter asked me if my eventual agent would be able to get her new Junie books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tip my hat to another chocolate lover ;)
    Great interview and I enjoyed getting to know Shari a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Junie B is delightful. Enjoyed getting to know Shari better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was so much fun!!!! I don't think I'll ever get tired of these! I learn so much about everyone that they've become incredibly addicting!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great interview (as always)! Shari is so down to earth and nice. Like the girl next door. --I'll have to add Speak to my reading list, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah Shari! I'm a chocolate girl hands down too. Great interview guys. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting! I appreciate your comments and feedback.