Thursday, May 16, 2013

The 9 letter word of doom.

REJECTION 

I know. It's like someone just told you you'll never make it. You didn't impress them and you'll never impress anyone. That's what goes through your head, right? 

But what do you do after that initial reaction? Do you sulk off and beat your head on the wall until all creative thoughts are subdued? Do you grab the closest piece of fattening food and indulge, wallowing in self doubt? 

How about ice cream? YES! That's what I'm going to go eat right now. But not because I'm upset. I'm going to eat it because I've decided to treat rejection like the Robinson's from Meet the Robinson's treat failure. They have a party! Because every time you fail, it gives you another opportunity to succeed. 

I love this quote from Walt Disney. "Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We look forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." 

So, lift your spoon of ice cream and join me in looking forward. Here's my ice cream of choice today. 


Be happy. Keep going. And don't ever let anyone's opinion come in the way of your success. This writing business is subjective and rejection will just put you on the right path of finding success with the agent that's best for you. 

In the meantime, I plan on taking this advice from Shakira's Waka Waka song. 

 "Pick yourself up, and dust yourself off, and back in the saddle."


6 comments:

  1. YES. Best post on rejection EVER. Hugs and love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ice Cream and Meet the Robinsons mentioned in the same post? We need to be friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of my most favorite quotes were by Walt Disney.

    Great post on looking at rejection in a whole new light. With Ice Cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rejection does suck. But like you said. "Pick yourself up, and dust yourself off, and back in the saddle." *hugs* :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle--Being rejected also means you're submitting. As a writer, that's key. If we don't submit, we'll never get published. What's the worst they can do to us? They are NOT going to come to our door and tell us we suck, are they?

    No, they're not.

    I've had a smidgen of success (4 Chicken Soup stories, along with a few other "yeses") and for every acceptance, I have 4 or 5 rejections. Ice cream. Fudge. It's all great things to enjoy as we revel in rejection...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting! I appreciate your comments and feedback.