Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Challenge Truth

If you missed my Crusade Challenge post, read it here before you go on...or you'll get the spoiler before the goods.


Wow!  Most of you guessed that my blade-like fingernails were my lie.  Although my fingernails aren't exactly blades, they are sharp when it comes to picking at my face (which is one of my worst habits ever, something that I do while I concentrate).  Ugh.  I wish I could stop, but most of the time, I don't even know I'm doing it.  So, no.  that wasn't my lie.  


And as flattered as I am that people think I have a flawless complexion, I don't.  The zits are there.  Every year, I think that I might grow out of them, but maybe I'm just not really growing up.  Maybe writing YA and eavesdropping on teenage conversation actually has an affect :) And since that's something I won't stop doing, I'll just have to learn to live with the everlasting adult acne.  Oh well.



And as for my love of candy...I do try to start with just two pieces.  That doesn't mean I won't go back for more, but I know if I only grab one, it won't be enough.  You may also be thinking of small candy when you say I grab handfuls, but I love love love taffy and two pieces are usually satisfying :)





And oddly enough, I can touch my nose with my tongue.  If I ever meet you and you remember that I have that quirky talent.  Go ahead and ask.  I'm not afraid to show you :)


I suppose you want to know what my lie was then, right?  Here it is.  




I haven't cherished books since my childhood.  


Gasp!  I know, kind of an unthinkable thing as an aspiring author, but I just wasn't into it growing up.  Not that I hated it completely, but I always said I did.  Of course I read some classics like the Boxcar Children, Goosebumps
American Girls, and Harry Potter.  


But it wasn't until I picked up Twilight four years ago that I really turned into a reading hobbit!  And now I'm catching up.  I live with a book by my side and always have another one lined up to read next.  I was completely shocked when one of my friends came to me for a something to read.  She said I was the book queen!



Proof that miracles do happen :)  So, what was the book that got you hooked?  How long have you cherished books?

18 comments:

  1. I was in the same boat as you were. I didn't like to read as a kid. Like you, Goosebumps got me started while Ender's Game cinched the knot. It wasn't until I was 15 that I started to read often, as well as write.

    Awesome post, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your transformation to Queen of Books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a book with me at all times and have been know to pull one out of my purse while waiting at the drive thru.

    Natasha
    Fellow Crusader

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Book Queen! Stephen King got me hooked. I think I read Pet Cemetery at age 12.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It happens, I wasn't much of a reader before when I was younger. High school is really the time I started taking it in on my own. :)

    Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly, Twilight was the book that got me into reading again. I liked it as a child, but sort of grew out of it in high school and until I had kids. Once I picked up Twilight, I devoured it and have continued to read mostly young adult books ever since. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it was the Romona books when I was a kid. After that I read anything and everything I could get my hands on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's fun to see what got everyone hooked, and also when you started your reading hobby.

    Candice-I totally read the Romona books. I still wasn't hooked, but I totally loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've loved books since before I could read them to myself. :) The one that always sticks out to me is The Giver. It's the first book that really made me think, and it's still one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You sound like me!! Catching up is now part of my daily routine since I've missed out on several wonderful books throughout the year!!!!

    PS whether you have zits or not it's nothing to worry because I think you're so pretty and last night on skype I thought you and Melissa did indeed have flawless skin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Magic Moon by Wolfgang Hohlbein, I read before then but that was really the one that trapped me in the land of reading.
    Hello to a fellow crusader :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh, I have acne. Have you tried Proactiv? I love it- I sound like a commercial, but I tried it several years ago, and it definitely keeps my acne under control. I still get it, but it goes away a lot faster and is smaller. Some times I can go a week or two with a clear face (for me, anyway...still usually a small spot lurking somewhere). But yeah, I've been using it for 3 years now I think.

    I have loved books for as long as I can remember. I remember my mom reading mark twain books to us when we were little- just lying up against her while she read, picturing the scenes in my mind. I read and read and read all the time. I was so bummed when I got older and developed severe carsickness that I can't read in the car anymore. Glad you finally got into it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry I'm slacking with my blog visits and comments today...I've been down with sinus problems making me dizzy.

    Jen-You are confusing flawless skin with skype screen fuzziness :)

    Abby-I haven't tried proactiv. I've thought about it so many times, but since I've been pregnant so often, I haven't really been able to take anything for acne. I'm glad to hear it works. I'll definitely look into it. And I also suffer from that carsickness. I find, though, that if I can't see out the window and we are going down a straight freeway at a constant speed, I can actually read. How often does that happen though?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I became a graphic designer so that I could photoshop my zits out of all my pictures.

    OK I'm kidding...sort of. I'm 37 and mine haven't gone away. Eegads did I just reveal my age on the interweb?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I understand the acne. I was free of it in my adolesence and then came upon it after I had kids. I'm not at all happy about it. haha!

    You've given me hope that one day my daughter will actually enjoy reading. It's so weird to hear her complain about the task when I've always been an avid reader. Thanks for the hope!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Goodness, I would never have picked that for the lie ;)

    It was fun reading your Challenge post *grins*

    Hugs,

    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  17. I say many thanks to Mr. admin website I read this, because in this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his
    Obat Tradisional Benjolan Tiroid
    Tips Cara Menghilangkan Anemia Pada Ibu Hamil

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting! I appreciate your comments and feedback.