Friday, October 22, 2010

Introducing Shallee McArthur


Shallee McArthur  "Writer of YA science fiction, lover of Africa and chocolate raisins, wife, mother, and woman extraordinaire. Or so I'd like to think."  (Taken from Shallee's awesome blog).

How long have you been writing?

If you ask my mom, she claims I started doodling circles on lined paper at nine months. But she's about the only one who counts that as my start at writing. I have been writing since I was a kid, though. My first stories I actually stole from the Story Club in Anne of Green Gables. I wrote my first novel in high school, but it wasn't until college that I really got serious about my writing. And it's only been the last year or so that I've focused on getting published.
What made you want to write?

I have no idea.  All I know is, I can't stop! I love turning ideas into stories, I love discovering characters and worlds, and my fingers itch to write them down. So I guess it's that love of creation that makes me want to write.
Do you have any pet peeves while writing?  Any certain music or drink you just have to have to concentrate?

I hate it when the phone rings while I'm writing, even though I usually ignore it. It pulls me out of the story so abruptly. As for food, I don't HAVE to have anything. But a few handfuls of chocolate raisins never goes amiss. :) 
What is your favorite thing to write?

I've always, always loved science fiction. And I'm drawn to young adult stories as well. There's something about the combination of the two of those...cool ideas and passionate young people. It just doesn't get much better than that. 
What other genre's do you enjoy writing, if any?

I also dabble a little in creative nonfiction. I took a class on it in college, and actually had a few pieces published in college journals. I love the ability to be completely true to my own voice in this genre. 
What are your favorite genres to read?

Um...anything? I'm very omnivorous when it comes to reading. I love sci fi and young adult, of course, but I also love memoir, literary fiction, crime fiction, thrillers...like I said, pretty much anything!
Do you have a favorite blog?

Hm, tough one. I do really love Mary Kole's Kidlit site. She gives such amazing, valuable information on both writing and publishing, and she's not afraid to be honest. 
Have you been to a conference?  If you've been to more than one, which was your favorite and why?
I went to my first conference last year: LDS Storymakers. And I LOVED it. The classes and workshops were amazing, with some top notch industry professionals. But my favorite part was the networking. I spent two whole days meeting and making friends with other writers. I also was part of the early morning critique groups, and got some great feedback on my work in addition to some good friends.
Which author's do you admire?
I absolutely love Brandon Sanderson. He has a way of pulling you completely into his world and characters so that you believe it's a real place. I also love Dan Wells, and not just because he was the leader of my conference critique group (okay, so maybe that made me a little fan-girl). His two books out are a prime example of incredible characterization-- he took a sociopathic teenager and actually made you care about him. It's amazing.
How often do you write?
Usually every day, though I miss occasionally (the joys of being a mom!). I can usually get in between one to three hours a day, depending on how the day goes.  


A BIG thanks to Shallee for answering these questions!  It was so good to learn more about her!  I can personally say that her writing rocks and if she ever gives a contest to critique, you'd better be there!  Remember to check out her blog.


11 comments:

  1. Nice interview. I love the YA/sci-fi combo too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fantastic interview! I love learning more about writers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful interview! It was great getting to know Shallee better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shallee is quite the amazing person - it was such a privilege getting to know her while waiting in line at Barnes and Noble. Great interview, Michelle. I look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was so fun! I liked getting to know Shallee better, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading these kinds of interviews! I'm into YA sci fi, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing. I'll be checking back to read more interviews.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad everyone loved it! I'm so excited for more...it makes me want to do interviews everyday! Sadly, I have a life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle, where can we contact you for interview proposals ?Could you please provide an email address? I a teen author and have coauthored 7 books so far

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed reading this interview! I loved learning more about a fellow blogger. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic interview!!!! Shallee rocks! What a fabulous interview!!

    Maybe one day I'll make it on the intervie board!! SO much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting! I appreciate your comments and feedback.